January 7, 2013

Paleo {not} Tortilla Soup

It's actually hit winter here in Texas! Which means the temp dips below 50 and I can flip the switch up on my magical gas fireplace! We've also all been sick here in the Caney house battling colds, flu, sinus infection, bronchitis, and even pink eye!! When it's cold out and I'm sick, nothing hits the spot like some good soup.
I came up with the {non} Tortilla soup and it was a huge hit with my tex-mex cravin' hubby. We had some pico & salsa leftover from La Hacienda and it made the perfect base starter for my soup!
I have made tortilla soups before with canned tomatoes & salsas, but the flavor depth of this one using the fresh pico & salsa was to die for!!

Ingredients
1 lb chicken- breasts or thighs
1 cup of fresh pico de gallo
2-3 whole carrots, peeled and cut in chunks on the bias
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup of fresh salsa of your choice- a fire roasted fresh variety gives the best and deepest flavor
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
4-5 cups chicken broth
fresh avocado
fresh cilantro, chopped

**optional for NON-Paleo- black beans, corn, chips, cheese, etc.  I added black beans for hubby and the kiddos, but left it out of my portion.

1. Place raw chicken breasts, carrots, and onion in bottom of your crock pot. Sprinkle spices, salt & pepper over chicken.
2. Dump in pico, salsa, & chicken broth. Stir.
3. Cover, set your crock to low for 6-8 hrs.
4. Walk away
5. When ready to serve, shred chicken with fork. Dip into bowls and top with fresh cubed avocado and cilantro!